Sunday, June 10, 2012

What is LMS?

Scenario: Meeting Room.


All Managers sat at the Round Table. (Reminded me of the story of King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table).
I was presenting on my Department's Activities and mentioned the famous abbreviation "LMS".
A hand shot up in the air followed by a question, "Nor, what's an LMS?".


Freeze Screen!


That was when it struck me like a lighting bolt that MOST or MAJORITY of those in my institution do not know what the abbreviation "LMS" stands for!


Unfreeze Screen!


So, I patiently explain, "LMS stands for Learning Management System where an educator manages his/her content delivery to their students. The LMS is on 24/7 as long as there's internet connection.  Educators can park their contents in the form of words doc, excel files, power point slides, pdfs, videos and also audios depending on the LMS license."
Paused, inhale and "SMILE".
The person who asked me nodded her head, indicating that she understood.  The rest of the managers did the same.  They all looked like cute little "Noddies".
As I was about to continue, another hand shot up in the air.
"What is our LMS?" asked another followed by heads nodding again.
At this point, I was about to burst into laughter but managed to keep it under control.
I smiled and said, "Blackboard7".
The cute little "Noddies" kept on nodding their heads followed by a long "Ohhh.... I see".


Freeze Screen!


Moral of the story : 


Do not assume everyone in your institution knows what kind of Learning Management System your institution is using.  So, do let everyone from the janitor, the guard right up to the CEO know the name of your institution's LMS.
Cheerio! :)

No comments: